Sunday 25 March 2012

25 Mar Back in the North

Whangarei
I thought the section into Whangarei would be quite straight forward. Much of it is flat and the road is mostly wide with a wide shoulder .  I forgot about the traffic. I forgot about the lack of cafes and toilet stops. I also forgot that when we lived in Whangarei years ago the trip from Waipu always seemed to take forever.  
  There was a nasty little head wind too which makes the biking so much harder.  The ride into Waipu was quite pleasant but the next bit was a trial.It was quite a relief to bike over the brow of the hill.into Whangarei and see our old houseand the familiar supermarket and shopping centre in Otaika Rd..  I had a cup of tea at the information centre and then made my way to the camp ground just down the road.  In retrospect a cabin at 3 times the cost might have been a better option than the tent.  In the afternoon the light rain set in and continued all night..   The tent once again handled it well but it was not a pleasant night and I didn't sleep well.

I made the traditional trip to Arthur's Emporium in the central city and bought some hooks to act as struts to hold up the front panier.  It seemed to work OK but it is not a permanent solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment