Tuesday 27 March 2012

27 Mar Kerikeri and the sun is out


A tale of 2 cities (villages really, but it sounds good)
I really enjoyed staying with Ted and Dorrie.  It wasn't just that they looked after me so well. and kept plying me with food and drink. That helps of course. But they are both such nice and friendly people. And I also met up again with  John, Kevin and Margie. I didn't see Penny unfortunately but it was good to see the others.
I left the farm at about 8.30 and headed for Towai for a coffee.   Unfortunately both the pub and cafe were closed so I pushed on to Kawakawa where I stopped for my coffee.
As I was taking my cycling gear off a 'suit' approached me and asked me about my trip.   He got really excited about me starting at 'The Bluff' and introduced me to 3 other 'suits'. I had assumed they where either estate agents or funeral directors.They wore name tags, but I didn't study them closely . One of them I found out was the local MP, so politics was involved somehow. I couldn't resist a little name dropping by mentioning cousin Johnathon,MP for New Plymouth.  My hand got shaken twice as a result. Mayor Wayne Brown was around too so I assume they were all having coffee together. Who knows.
I couldn't help comparing the affluence and prosperity of Kawakawa with Moera. The former has very few,if any, empty shops.
As I biked past the AFFCO meatworks the hundred or so picketers responded well to the horn and bell that I rang as I rode passed. (I am a union member myself).   The picketers were nearly all Maori. I don't understand all the issues but I don't trust Talleys. Then I ride through Moera itself .  Lots of empty shops
, graffiti, windows boarded up. Almost nobody on the streets - certainly no 'suits'. The contrast was poignant. 
I pushbiked through to Kerikeri and made a brief pilgrimage to St James church which have a couple of camino stain glass windows.It is clearly a much-loved building and I felt very peaceful there. Open unlocked and accessible to anyone.
Tomorrow I head north around the coast.  The campground is by a small river, busy and lots of birds
Delightful.
Probably 2 days from Kaitaia - its going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment